Feed Crisis Centre
Feed Crisis Centre
6 June 2013
UK LIFFE wheat (Nov-13) futures prices have risen and on 4 June 2013 the contract price settled at £179/t. The AHDB/HGCA/ADAS crop development report for the UK was released on 30 May stating that while improved growing conditions have allowed UK wheat crops to catch up, development was still 10-14 days behind normal as at the end of May. Heavy rains in the US Midwest are hindering spring wheat planting progress and there are also concerns surrounding winter wheat yields.
- Be tempted to scrimp on feed quantity or quality
- Cut back on vaccination programmes to save cost
- Keep pigs back and cause stocking density problems or shortage of feed/drinker space
- Stop buying gilts in
- Keep the culling rate up to maintain an efficient herd
- Consider reducing slaughter weight to reduce cost of production through enhanced feed conversion ratio
- Speak to your nutritionist to ensure optimal diet specifications and feeding strategies
- Consider bulk buying feed to reduce load costs
- Consider feeding co-products BUT speak to a nutritionist first
- Look for wastage areas - are hoppers/feeders set correctly to reduce feed loss through the slats
- Check feed storage - are bags being left where rodents can access it?
- Clean feed bins to avoid mould and the feed becoming unusable
- Use our simple feed cost calculator and guide
The Addington Fund provides homes for farming families needing to leave the industry and emergency grants in times of hardship.
Telephone: 01926 620135.
Farm Crisis Network
FCN provides pastoral and practical support to farming people during periods of anxiety and stress.
FCN Helpline: 0845 367 9990
If there is something you'd like in this section that isn't there, please contact Andrew Knowles.
For more information and advice please contact our KT Managers by clicking here.