Pig Housing Development
The British pig industry has suffered from a lack of investment in buildings, mostly in nursery and grower/finisher accommodation. A consequence of this is poor pig performance on many pig units and this leads to an increased cost of production.
Pig buildings and associated technology: industry survey report
Click here to download the report on a pig industry survey to establish the condition of pig buildings in England and producers’ attitudes to investment in new buildings and associated technology.
Modern high quality buildings are an important part of pig management allowing high standards of:
- Animal health and welfare
- Improve feed use and growth rates
- Reduce environmental impacts such as release of odour and ammonia
- Offer opportunities to improve labour
- Improve energy efficiency
- Allow the adoption of renewable energy technology
For more detailed information regarding building design please refer to the BPEX Environmental Management for Healthy Pig Production document or the BPEX British Pig Project.